About Wholesale District
The Wholesale District in Indianapolis began as an entrepreneurial enterprise between two brothers, August and Henry Schnull in 1863. These German-Americans led the way for over 300 wholesale businesses that sprang to life in the area. Although August returned to Germany, it is Henry Schnull who did not give up on the dream of providing wholesale cost goods directly to the consumer. This earned him the title, ?Father of the Wholesale District.?The first Indianapolis Schnull owned-wholesale store opened in 1863. The railroad had been there since 1847 and the capacity of trains coming into Union Station was up to 85 trains a day by 1881. Unfortunately, when cars and trucks became part of the industry in Indianapolis?rather than the railroad?the Wholesale District business declined.Anyone traveling to Indianapolis, Wholesale District stays at high end hotels and has gourmet meals after enjoying a play, concert, or sporting event. It is an area that supports local and regional artists through public works and private galleries. Those looking to relocate can find modern elegance. The Wholesale District, Indianapolis was full of structures that had outlived their original use. They have been repurposed into a thriving, cultural center full of life and excitement. Today it is home to the Circle Center, Lucas Oil Stadium, Conseco Fieldhouse, Indiana Repertory Theater, Hilbert Circle Theater, The Indianapolis Artsgarden, restaurants and breweries.